Those of you that have known me for a long time know that I have always struggled with waiting for just about anything. I seriously dislike it when people are not driving anywhere NEAR the speed limit or worse have to come to a complete stop to make a turn onto a side street. I honestly cannot remember a time when I liked waiting... in line, for something to do, for an answer or even for something like the next day to come. As a child I remember often being so excited for a big day (like Christmas or a trip) to come and I reasoned that the best approach was to go to sleep as early as possible because it would come faster. That approach also worked well while travelling with the family.
So - what am I doing today? Waiting. I'm waiting for these thunder storms to pass (many of you know how much those frighten me). I'm waiting for Tom to return home safely from Schenectady. But mostly I'm still sitting here waiting for my tests late next week to tell me if our babies have survived... I hate waiting.
So, as I've been sitting here (without the TV on because of the thunder) I've had much time to think and pray about my "predicament". How can I last until I know - every twinge or feeling is over analyzed and can predict wonderful or terrible news. Waiting...
Thankfully, I remembered a poem that my mother had sent to me in college from Streams in the Desert. After a quick search I found it and I thought that I would share it here. How much of a Martha I am.... no matter how painful this is, my prayer is to sit still, calmly at His feet, hopeful, moving ahead in confident steps of obedience, worshipping....
Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Nor deem these days--these waiting days--as ill!
The One who loves thee best, who plans thy way,
Hath not forgotten thy great need today!
And, if He waits, 'tis sure He waits to prove
To thee, His tender child, His heart's deep love.
Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Thou longest much to know thy dear Lord's will!
While anxious thoughts would almost steal their way
Corrodingly within, because of His delay
Persuade thyself in simple faith to rest
That He, who knows and loves, will do the best.
Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Nor move one step, not even one, until
His way hath opened. Then, ah then, how sweet!
How glad thy heart, and then how swift thy feet
Thy inner being then, ah then, how strong!
And waiting days not counted then too long.
Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
What higher service could'st thou for Him fill?
'Tis hard! ah yes! But choicest things must cost!
For lack of losing all how much is lost!'
Tis hard, 'tis true! But then--He giveth grace
To count the hardest spot the sweetest place.
--J. D. Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment